Monday, May 12, 2008

Old databases, silent blogs -- better than nothing

I'm not sure what to think about these two websites that came to my attention. "Cisco/Sisco Genealogy Data" is a recent addition to Cyndi's List, and it will come in helpful as a source for clues (as well as following up its citations). But as far as I can tell it hasn't been added to for more than a year, and three of its four internal indexes haven't been updated since Bill Clinton was president.

I vacillate between being grateful that an abandoned project is available for the rest of us to draw on, and being sorry that it was abandoned -- even though that is the way most of us relate to family history research, with brief spurts of interest followed by long fallow periods.

Blogs of course have that problem even worse. And from this database I come to a librarian's blog about Waynesville (Warren County), Ohio, full of solid information, that hasn't seen a post in more than a year.

No comments: