Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Central Illinois research as it happens

Editors tend to resist publishing articles that provide a "research travelogue" -- "first I looked here, and then that led me to..." but for those of us still struggling to figure out how to do good research, a travelogue or two is most welcome. National Genealogical Society president Jan Alpert provides one involving the Neill families, possibly related, of Peoria and Schuyler counties, Illinois in the January issue of UpFront with NGS. There's no magical revelation or clear conclusion, but I find it interesting to see how someone else goes about a project starting with a clue or two from a Civil War pension file.

2 comments:

Jan Alpert said...

From Civil War Pension to census to obituary.

As a follow up I wrote the Schuyler Co. Jail Museum and was given the name of a local researcher whom I hired for some local research. She sent me many obituaries and other family information which ties my uncle's Neill family and the Neill's of Schuyler Co. together. I'm almost done entering the data into my database to send family group charts to my uncle. The obituaries have given me many more 20th Century Neills to research.

Jan Alpert

Harold Henderson said...

Thanks, Jan. If you go any farther west you may wind up being related to Michael John Neill!

Harold